Friday, September 11, 2026

Relational Understanding AND Instrumental Understanding

One thing that struck me was that I have felt the exact same reservations towards "instrumental math" that Skemp lists in this article. This was a sadness I felt to how (I thought) math was often taught, as if some of the beauty within was completely overlooked and ignored. In grad school I read "The Mathematician's Lament" by Paul Lockhart, an article that plays with the idea "what if we taught music like we teach math". I was struck to read the very similar analogy given by Skemp in this article, some 30 years prior to Lockhart. Back in grad school I felt validated in my feeling that "instrumental" is somehow missing the point, and I was annoyingly sanctimonious about it (despite never taking the "devil's advocate path").

Since that time, my perspective has gained some nuance. When I read Skemp's football analogy on page 3 I wondered to myself: are there not skills used by both sports that would transfer from one to the other? I finished the article disagreeing with Skemp that instrumental and relational math are so distinct, and my long-standing skepticism of instrumental math has softened. I see these different approaches as two sides of the same coin. Though the sides are certainly different, they are not necessarily opposing. And each offers a different way to teach, both of which carry their own merit and both of which I will try to use appropriately in my teaching. After all, the title of the article is "Relational Understanding AND Instrumental Understanding" not "Relational Understanding OR Instrumental Understanding".

Maybe we can have our cake and eat it too?
(A strawberry cake my friend made that is still to this day the best I've ever had)


1 comment:

  1. Lovely, Tara! I really appreciate your nuanced, ‘both/and’ approach— and I find it’s really much more helpful than extremes of ‘either/or’ in human situations like teaching.

    ReplyDelete

One by one (Regina Bittencourt)

Group members:  Alina, Emily K, Keith, Tara Regina Bittencourt: One by one (The original version) Our remake of the original In remaking th...